Clinker tiles are more and more frequently used as an interior finishing material. Thanks to them, a room acquires an unusual climate. A kitchen with clinker tiles will give a raw impression – it can be warmed up with wooden cabinets and accessories.
What are clinker tiles?
The manufacturing process of clinker tiles is very similar to that of clinker bricks. The tiles are formed mechanically and then fired at a temperature of about 1000°C. The tiles owe their ideal properties to such a high firing temperature.
Clinker tiles are primarily associated with the brick-red color, but other colors are also available – from white, beige, yellow, to graphite gray. The texture of the tiles can be:
The main advantages of using clinker tiles in kitchens include
- price – they are cheaper than clinker bricks, their price oscillates between 30 and 120 PLN/m²,
- durability, resistance to mechanical damage and humidity in the room,
- naturalness which has positive influence on microclimate in room,
- they refract light, thanks to which they optically enlarge a room,
- they can be easily repainted in any color,
- have thermal and acoustic properties,
- they are very impressive.
The main disadvantages of using clinker tiles in the kitchen include:
- they look best in large kitchens – a small room can be “overwhelmed” by such tiles,
- if applied in large quantities, they can be a burden on a “thin” wall,
- incorrect placement of clinker tiles may result in their dampening,
- clinker tiles located between worktops and cabinets require appropriate protection and cleaning – which entails additional costs.
Protection of clinker tiles
According to manufacturers, clinker tiles do not need to be protected. However, many interior decorators recommend additional protection of clinker tiles – this prolongs their durability. This can be done by means of:
- impregnate – you can get a matt surface with it, it is used in places where there are “difficult” conditions, such as on the wall behind the stove,
- acrylic varnish – creates a glossy layer, is much more resistant to external factors than impregnate. It prevents absorption of moisture, allows for easy removal of dirt from the surface.
Will clinker tiles work in any kitchen?
Clinker tiles will work in any kitchen, but it is worth protecting them properly. They can “decorate” one of the 3 areas of the kitchen:
- on a wall away from doing any cooking activities,
- in the dining area,
- in the space between cabinets and countertop.
Clinker tiles are most often laid in the space between the countertop and upper cabinets and on the entire wall from countertop to ceiling (if there are no upper cabinets). It is very popular to cover an island or the side of a worktop separating a kitchen from a living room with clinker tiles.
Clinker tiles in the latest interior trends
Red clinker tiles are very popular recently. Red brick perfectly warms up the interior, emphasizing the rustic style of the kitchen.
White or cream clinker tiles optically enlarge the interior – they perfectly match the Scandinavian style.
Inspirations with clinker tiles in the main role:
How to clean clinker tiles in the kitchen?
Regular cleaning of tiles is very important. In most cases, it is enough to wipe them with a damp cloth and dishwashing liquid. You can find cleaning products for clinker tiles in stores which remove dirt from their surface.
Clinker tiles are an ideal solution for people who want to have an interesting and modern interior. This material will warm up and add charm to any kitchen.