For the fall and winter season, you need to prepare not only the garden and pantry, but also the boiler room. If the boiler room is not prepared for the winter, then have problems when firing the furnace in the heating season. How to prepare a boiler room to be fully functional during the heating season?
Circumstances in the light of building law
A boiler room can be located in:
- a room separated from the garage,
- another place, if there is no basement in the house.
The location of the boiler room must always be matched to the type of boiler, its size and the fuel that is recommended for heating. The building law clearly specifies what requirements must be met by a boiler room:
- if an open combustion chamber boiler is to be installed in a boiler room
- the volume of this room must be at least 8mᶟ,
- must be at least 2,2 m high – if the building was erected after 15th December 2002,
- must be at least 1,9 m high – if the building was erected before 15 December 2002.
- if a boiler with a closed combustion chamber is to be installed in the boiler room then:
- the height of the boiler room must not be lower than 2,2 m – if the building was erected after 15 December 2002,
- the cubic capacity of the room must not be less than 6.5 mᶟ,
- exhaust gases should be removed through a separate flue pipe,
- air to the boiler room must be supplied through a separate duct,
- the size of the boiler room should be adjusted to the size of the boiler – if the boiler is 20-30 kW, the boiler room must be a separate room
- if the boiler is fired by liquid gas, the boiler room must be located above ground level – gas is heavier than air and in case of failure will accumulate below. If the boiler room is, for example, in a basement, the gas cannot freely escape from the building, which may cause an explosion,
- there must always be free access to the boiler from all sides,
- the boiler must always be accessible to the boiler from all sides,
- the floor in the room must be made of non-combustible materials,
- ceiling and walls should have fire resistance class “EI60”,
- many investors install doors to boiler rooms meeting the “EI30” standard
10 steps when checking the boiler room before the heating season
- Annual inspection of ventilation systems.
- Before the heating season, it is worth checking the condition of the water and electrical systems of the furnace.
- Inspection of the entire heating system consisting of:
- inspection of radiators,
- refilling water in the circuit,
- checking the pressure in the system.
- Inspection of safety fittings and chimney.
- Checking technical condition of a boiler by an expert.
- Checking the condition of the exchanger.
- Mesh filters check.
- Safety valves check.
- Inspection of the system for heating water for daily use.
- Checking the cleanliness of the electronics responsible for boiler control.
Formalities of seasonal inspection
Seasonal inspection of the heating system is carried out only by an authorized person. This person issues a certificate confirming that the heating system has been inspected and any repairs have been carried out. Homeowners should always make every effort to ensure that the heating system is efficient and safe, thus they must take measures to eliminate any defects.
Proper preparation of the boiler for the heating season is one of the most important activities that should be carried out by the building owners during the autumn-winter period