Unpleasant odor in the refrigerator is unfortunately a common problem faced by many people. Its cause is usually spoiled or poorly stored food.
Fortunately, there are many home methods to effectively get rid of unpleasant odor from the refrigerator. Not only will it improve our comfort and not take away our appetite, but it will also prevent the spread of microorganisms. In this article, we present some proven solutions for refreshing your refrigerator.
Take care of cleanliness on a daily basis
Keeping your fridge clean and fresh on a regular basis is essential. At least once a month, it is a good idea to thoroughly clean the appliance. Remove all the contents of the fridge and wipe down all the shelves. Removable drawers should be washed more thoroughly, because they often accumulate water and residues from fruits and vegetables lying in them
If necessary, it is worth turning off the refrigerator completely and defrosting it. With well-functioning equipment it is enough to do this once every two months. Regular tidying of the refrigerator also allows you to go through all the food items carefully and check their expiration dates. This way, you can easily prevent the spread of mold and bad smells. This is the first and most important step to get rid of the unpleasant smell from your refrigerator.
How do I get rid of unpleasant odour from my fridge?
Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that despite our best efforts we smell a bad, repulsive odour. Perhaps we didn’t have time to throw away leftover dinner before a long trip or something was standing in the back of the fridge and we didn’t notice it. There are ways to help get rid of the aroma that your fridge is soaked with.
- Ground coffee – This is one of the most effective ways to help remove unwanted odors from your fridge. Just place a bowl of ground coffee on the shelf and replace it every other week. It will absorb the unpleasant aromas and fill the fridge with its slightly nutty smell.
- Baking soda – probably the substance that has the most properties to help keep your home tidy and solve a variety of problems. Not only will it be perfect for whitening clothes, unclogging pipes, but it is equally effective in absorbing odors. Just put baking soda in the refrigerator on a flat plate and leave it overnight. In the morning the bad smell will be much less intense.
- Baking powder – works on the same principle asbaking soda, you need to leave it in the fridge for at least 2-3 days.
- Citrus – thanks to its fresh and refreshing aroma, citrus will help eliminate the unpleasant smell from the fridge. It is best to peel a lemon or orange and put it on the shelf. It is necessary to replace the fruit every few days, because otherwise the effect may be opposite to the intended.
- Activated charcoal is an alternative solution, but equally effective. Due to its properties, it can absorb bad odors from the refrigerator. Put the crumbled powder on a plate, which you then place on a shelf. After a few days, the problem should disappear completely
Bad smell can be easily removed by home remedies. For the desired effect of a refreshed refrigerator you usually have to wait a minimum of several hours, and even a few days. Some people, however, prefer quicker solutions. Then it is worth going to the store for professional preparations that help remove bad odor from the refrigerator. A variety of cubes and powders are guaranteed to be effective
It is also worth remembering about proper storage of food products. The best solution will be containers made of glass or food-safe, certified plastic. Popular plastic bags should be enough to carry food from the store to the house, but they are not suitable for storing food. In practice they shorten their freshness. Nowadays in stores there is a very wide selection of boxes designed to hold products, so surely everyone will find something tailored to their needs.