Wooden, white or glazed – although not a necessity, the chest of drawers occupies an important place in the furnishings of the apartment. It is characterized by practicality and extreme functionality, so it is no wonder that its name comes from the French word “commode”, meaning “convenient”. Its usefulness was already appreciated by kings at Versailles, and to this day has not lost its popularity. But how to choose the right commode for the interior of your home?
To which room?
The most obvious is to place the chest of drawers in the living room, but in reality it has many more uses. Equally well suited to the children’s room, where it will accommodate all the toys, books and clothes, and in the case of the youngest children, special models with built-in changing table and space for creams and diapers will prove useful. If you choose a chest of drawers in the dining room, you will easily store cutlery, tableware or tablecloths. Choosing a lower model for the hallway, you can effectively replace it with a shoe cabinet. And in the bedroom, vintage chests of draw ers successfully fulfill the role of nightstand, by the way, accommodating your linen or bedding
What to follow when choosing?
Although it would seem that dressers do not differ much from each other, looking for the right model, it is worth paying attention to several important issues:
- Material of manufacture – it must be matched to the interior, MDF board suits a modern look at the arrangement, raw wood better suits the Scandinavian style, and glazed dressers in apartments inspired by the industrial style.
- Number and capacity of cabinets and drawers – you will always need extra space. Even if you can now fit everything in a chest of drawers, it does not necessarily mean that after buying new bedclothes, clothes or tableware you will have nowhere to hide them
- Legs – buying a chest of drawers with high legs will make cleaning much easier. Thanks to this, you will be able to clean the floor under the furniture, without the need to move it
- Silent closing function – it is worth paying attention to, especially in case of families with small children
- LED backlighting – an interesting option that will give your dresser a modern look
To which interior?
Another issue that you should pay attention to when choosing a chest of drawers, is the style in which you want to decorate your interior. Furniture matched to the interior will make the whole look harmonious. We present some of them with suggestions of matching furniture
TheScandinavian style chest of drawers is unusual in its simplicity. Solid wood will go well with white walls and the whole arrangement will be complemented by accessories such as paintings with plant motifs, lanterns or knitted blankets. However, you don’t have to stick to one style, together with Scandinavian austerity will go great with elements of industrial style
Are you dreaming of a retro style apartment? Commode in communist style is distinguished by diagonally spaced legs, is massive, but you can not deny its charm. What is important, it has a practical function – it is very capacious, and can easily hold a large amount of clothes or plates. If you are not afraid to experiment, combine this retro-style chest with an eclectic interior
New York style
Give yourself a New York atmosphere with neutral, safe colors that will put you in a pleasant mood. Use such colors as gray, beige, white, black and taupe. New York style chests of drawers are minimalistic and subdued, and their high quality materials make them impossible to pass by indifferently. In New York style you will find inspiration from art deco, ethno, vintage and design classics.